Skip to main content

Check Lists and the First Week of School

As I am writing this, it is Saturday...two days before teachers go back to school. Most teachers know that the week that we go back to school our days are heavily scheduled with school meetings, team meetings, district meetings, technology meetings, curriculum meetings, meet-and-greets, etc. so the actual time spent in the classroom is very limited. I find it helpful to have some notebooking things done before that Monday. In my case I have moved classrooms this year so I really tried to be as organized as possible with the notebooks so I had one less thing to think about as I unpack and put away.

My checklist consists of:

___ Purchased composition books (students will replace stock when they bring in supplies)

___ Put name labels on each book

___ Developed a storage system for books (in my case purchasing bins)

___ Reinforced binding with clear masking tape (done in front of the TV one evening)

___ Glued in starter pages (will also do in front of TV this weekend)


I plan to start notebooking most likely on the second day of school. The first day I have some getting to know you activities and we run through practice fire and earthquake drills (along with collecting supplies and explaining classroom rules and expectations) If I find I still have time I will jump ahead to some of the activities for the next day.

On day two I'll have students set up clock partners (see January 2009 post with picture), number the pages (to 25 only), set up the first title page, and do a textbook scavenger hunt with a clock partner. Even though I rarely use the textbooks (I collect and place on our shelves as a class set so students don' t have to lug them around) I still think it is a good idea students know what is in it so they can use it as a resource. Last year I didn't use the clock partners on a regular basis and I should have because when I did split students in groups, that didn't included their "friends," they turned dysfunctional quickly. I think using clock partners more often might lead to better group skills. I'll report back on how that goes. My game plan is to try and do one activity a week that will use a clock partner (probably more often the first week or so of school to get them use to it).

On day three we will complete whatever we didn't finish from the day before and then I will introduce our INQUIRY unit. That means reviewing the standards and making the title page for that. If time I will show What is a Scientist powerpoint that is downloadable from this site.

On day four we will discuss safety as a group and students will be put into their clock partner groups to complete the "What Not To Do Lab" in their notebooks, we will regroup and discuss. Students will then have to label, draw, and color a safety poster, which I will mount and put around the room.

On day five (end of first week) students will be taught how to "smell correctly" (wafting) and will rotate between five table groups wafting various things from around my house (vanilla, vinegar, etc.). Kids love that activity and makes for some good pictures! Then we will go over the lyrics to the Lab Safety! song, highlighting some lab safety rules we see in the lyrics. Students will then hear the song, once for fun (it is an engaging rap song) and then another time but following the lyrics (which will be on the left hand of the notebook). Students will then have to make a SAFETY acrostic poem on the right hand side (will most likely model one of the letters so students know the expectations....no one word responses!!!).


This is just a rough outline of my first week. I may change or tweak depending on the schedule, group of students, etc.

Comments

Kerlyn Prada said…
Thanks so much for the link to the Lab Safety song. My students always enjoy when I play a song about what we are learning. They are really going to like this one. I played the element song when we were learning about the periodic table and they kept wanting to hear it. Your blog is great. I am a faithful reader. It must be so much fun to be in your class.
Eve Heaton said…
Kerlyn - I'm glad you are enjoying the blog. I played the lab safety song last week and the kids LOVED it. I'm glad I had them read the lyrics first and make connections. I linked it on my class website www.mrsheatonsclass.com and many went home over the weekend and shared with their parents.

Eve
Anonymous said…
How many items did you have them 'waft'? Did you have a sheet with a bank of words for them to choose what the item was?

Popular posts from this blog

Weathering, Erosion, and Deposition Activity

I saw this activity at a science conference years ago and haven't had a chance to use it in a classroom until this week (mainly because I didn't teach weathering, erosion, and deposition). It is a great way to reinforce the definition of the weathering, erosion, and deposition in a highly kinesthetic manner. Basically you break the students up into groups of three. One group is "Weathering" another group is "Erosion" and the third group is "Deposition". Add tape to the back because you are going to stick them to the forehead of the children in each group. The "weathering" students get a sheet of paper that is their "rock" they will be breaking down. At the start of the activity the "weathering" students will start ripping tiny pieces of their "rock" and handing it to the "erosion" students. The "erosion" students will be running their tiny piece of "rock&

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

Rock Cycle Activity

Today I got to spend the day with a 3rd grade science teacher doing a rock cycle activity. She had asked for help a couple of weekends ago to find some engaging rock cycle activities for her students. I quickly did a Pinterest search and came up with a link to a middle school blog where they featured a fun looking rock cycle station activity. That website took me to the originating activity site - Illinois State Museum Geology Online and their Ride the Rock Cycle activity . I read through it and felt it was doable for third graders (although I was a little nervous about the cartooning). I offered my help and we put together the activity. The kids did it WONDERFULLY. It was one of those lesson you wish was observed (but of course never is :) They are on an alternating science schedule so she only had two of the four classes today but it was a good sampling of children. She had one class that had a high portion of struggling learners and the second class had a high