Skip to main content

Students Coming and Going

I learned several things the hard way my first year of notebooking...one was how to start with students you have, students you are going to have, and students who are leaving.

Let start with students you have.....

- Last year I expected that each student would bring in the required notebooks as requested on the supply sheet. I was unprepared for the number of students who did not bring in the supplies. I frantically went out and bought about 20 notebooks so that we could start notebooking right away (students were required to pay me back the $1 I spent on the notebooks....but I rarely got the money).

- This year I joined my school after the supply list was made (with no composition books on it). So I pre-purchased about 40 notebooks when they went on sale (about July/August) for .50 each. During the open house and on the first day of school I told parents that students would need one notebook for my science class. I gave them until the end of the week to bring them in. Meanwhile I passed out the notebooks I had purchased and as students brought in their notebooks I kept them as replacements for the ones I bought. That allowed me to start notebooking right away and covered those students whose parents don't purchase supplies.

Students you are going to have...

- Last year I was not prepared for new students. They didn't have a notebook because they were new. Many students had to wait until their parents got paid in order to get supplies. They worked on loose leaf paper unless I had an extra book for them to use (they were always expected to either pay for the book or replace it). It was a bit nightmarish.

- This year over the summer I took five notebooks and pre-numbered all of them while watching TV at night. Those were kept with my new student information so as I got new students they were ready to start notebooking with us day one. I am glad I did that because low and behold I have had five new students already this year. Again, student were expected to either pay or replace the book I gave them (sometimes that happened and sometimes that didn't).

Students who are leaving you....

- Last year I had several students leave the school. I kept their notebook. Lucky for me I didn't not misplace them because we had two come back! I was able to hand them their old book and they didn't miss a beat. I believe the other teacher let the student take their notebook and he lost it by the time he was re-enrolled. He had to start a new book.

- I wasn't sure how I was going to handle that this year. I've had several students leave but it was within the first two months of school so I kept their book. At this point I might let the leaving students keep their book, since we have done so much in them. I would probably weigh a lot of factors like how long they have been working in them, did they take pride in notebooking, how much departure notice we received, what is the probablity of their return, etc.

My advice is to think of the three scenarios above and decide how you would handle it so you have a plan when/if it comes up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weathering, Erosion, and Deposition Activity

I saw this activity at a science conference years ago and haven't had a chance to use it in a classroom until this week (mainly because I didn't teach weathering, erosion, and deposition). It is a great way to reinforce the definition of the weathering, erosion, and deposition in a highly kinesthetic manner. Basically you break the students up into groups of three. One group is "Weathering" another group is "Erosion" and the third group is "Deposition". Add tape to the back because you are going to stick them to the forehead of the children in each group. The "weathering" students get a sheet of paper that is their "rock" they will be breaking down. At the start of the activity the "weathering" students will start ripping tiny pieces of their "rock" and handing it to the "erosion" students. The "erosion" students will be running their tiny piece of "rock&

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

Rock Cycle Activity

Today I got to spend the day with a 3rd grade science teacher doing a rock cycle activity. She had asked for help a couple of weekends ago to find some engaging rock cycle activities for her students. I quickly did a Pinterest search and came up with a link to a middle school blog where they featured a fun looking rock cycle station activity. That website took me to the originating activity site - Illinois State Museum Geology Online and their Ride the Rock Cycle activity . I read through it and felt it was doable for third graders (although I was a little nervous about the cartooning). I offered my help and we put together the activity. The kids did it WONDERFULLY. It was one of those lesson you wish was observed (but of course never is :) They are on an alternating science schedule so she only had two of the four classes today but it was a good sampling of children. She had one class that had a high portion of struggling learners and the second class had a high