Skip to main content

Storage


Storage of the notebooks varies from teacher to teacher.

Some teachers require the students to be responsible for bringing them to school each day. I tried this and it did not work for me. The group of students I had at the middle school varied from being very responsible to being...well...not very responsible. Some of my not so responsible students "lost" their books or never brought them to class and had to do the work on loose leaf paper until they "found" their books and we could glue the loose leaf sheets in. I decided that the notebooks were going to stay in my room.

Some teachers might argue that by doing that students aren't going to learn to become responsible but it was simply not worth the headache of having to deal with lost, misplaced or simply missing notebooks for me. I gave students other opportunities to show responsibility or learn it but I wasn't doing it with the notebooks.

Some teachers had milk crates stacked like shelves that the students stored their books in. I wasn't a fan of this method because it was very difficult to see whose book was whose and the students were very rough on books that weren't their own. The plus side to that is that it took up less space then my storage method below. The bins were stacked four or five high depending on how many class periods you had in a day.

I bought wash tubs from Walmart (they come in red, black and white) and trained students to stack them right side up in the tub. The tubs occupied one of my lab tables in the middle school and are on the counter in my elementary school classroom. There was a bin for each period I taught. The bins were labeled in the front as to which period. I put large name tags in the upper right hand corner of each notebook so that students could flip through the books easily and look for the one with their name on it. I started to run into a bottleneck situation at the tubs and assigned students to pass them out in the middle school.

I use the same washtub method in elementary school but my students are sitting in tables of four. I have a weekly table runner and that person is the only person who passes out the books and collects them back up. When table runners get their books they are already grouped according to who sits at their table (since that is how they put them away) and it is easy for them to grab the four or five they are responsible for.

Above is a picture of one of the books so you can see how I put the name label on. The composition books have places where students put their name but they vary per brand and it was difficult to see.

SIDE NOTE - Some industrious students like to put book covers on their notebook. I allowed it in middle school simply because I had no experience with it. I made them all take them off after the holiday break. They would not retain the name tag and they became a serious distraction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weathering, Erosion, and Deposition Activity

I saw this activity at a science conference years ago and haven't had a chance to use it in a classroom until this week (mainly because I didn't teach weathering, erosion, and deposition). It is a great way to reinforce the definition of the weathering, erosion, and deposition in a highly kinesthetic manner. Basically you break the students up into groups of three. One group is "Weathering" another group is "Erosion" and the third group is "Deposition". Add tape to the back because you are going to stick them to the forehead of the children in each group. The "weathering" students get a sheet of paper that is their "rock" they will be breaking down. At the start of the activity the "weathering" students will start ripping tiny pieces of their "rock" and handing it to the "erosion" students. The "erosion" students will be running their tiny piece of "rock&

Picture of the Day - Activity

I attended a training class and a science coach shared an activity that he does with his students to help them differentiate between observations, inferences, and predictions. He puts a picture on the interactive white board as a warm up (he gets the pictures from a variety of sources but uses National Geographic's Picture of the Day a lot). The picture above is from the National Geographic site. He has the students make five observations. Then he makes the students make five inferences. Finally he has the students make five predictions. He does this every day and it really drives home the difference between those three key inquiry vocabulary terms. I've done this activity with both my sixth and fourth grade science classes and the students really got into it and became proficient at telling me the difference between those terms.

Rock Cycle Activity

Today I got to spend the day with a 3rd grade science teacher doing a rock cycle activity. She had asked for help a couple of weekends ago to find some engaging rock cycle activities for her students. I quickly did a Pinterest search and came up with a link to a middle school blog where they featured a fun looking rock cycle station activity. That website took me to the originating activity site - Illinois State Museum Geology Online and their Ride the Rock Cycle activity . I read through it and felt it was doable for third graders (although I was a little nervous about the cartooning). I offered my help and we put together the activity. The kids did it WONDERFULLY. It was one of those lesson you wish was observed (but of course never is :) They are on an alternating science schedule so she only had two of the four classes today but it was a good sampling of children. She had one class that had a high portion of struggling learners and the second class had a high